Rue St-Paul d'autrefois, Marché Bonsecours Montréal

In this work, John Little presents a view of Saint-Paul Street, at the corner of Saint-Claude, in the heart of Old Montreal. The Bonsecours Market and the bell tower of the Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel are depicted to the right of the composition.

Created in 1991, the work titled rue St-Paul d'autrefois transports us to the 1950s and 1960s with truck deliveries of fruits and vegetables from farmers who came to sell at the market. It was in 1963 that the market gardens ceased their activities in the famous public square of Old Montreal. Another important historical item is the Morantz Beef lettered truck. Indeed, a true Montreal institution, the Morantz brothers opened their deli restaurant in Montreal in 1946 upon their return from the war. This restaurant serving smoked meat delights is still in business. John Little shows us the changes in the city with great attention to detail. Which makes his works visual documents testifying to daily life at the time.

Learn More about John Little  >

John Little (1928 - -)

Rue St-Paul d'autrefois, Marché Bonsecours Montréal, 1991

  • Gallery

    Galerie Cosner au Ritz-Carlton Montréal

  • Medium

    Oil on canvas

  • Time

    Post-War Canadian art

  • Dimensions

    30,5 x 40,6 cm | 12'' x 16''

  • Dimensions with frame

    55,8 x 66 cm | 22'' x 26''

  • Signed

    Signed lower right, signed, titled and dated on verso

Get an estimate of your artwork of John Little  >